Friday 25 January 2013

Rome June 19th 2008


All road lead to Rome
When in Rome do as the Romans do
Julius Caesar - I would rather be first in a little Iberian village than second in Rome
Rome wasn’t built in a day.



John says he has a ‘Situation’ and has to go to Rome. He has to stay in a Hotel and immerse himself in Roman Culture. 
He says he has a ‘Project’.
I have no idea what he is talking about.
He wants me to come to Rome too. 
I say ‘Honestly, it’s like being married to James bloody Bond. what kind of Project? I can’t come. What about the children?’
John asks my mother to look after the children.
We are going to Rome.
We go to Rome. 
We fly British Airways which is a good thing because although I am fully aware that flying is not a) possible or B) possible British Airways pilots have not bought this argument, however reasoned, and insist on staying calm and gently chatty unlike pilots on Royal Air Maroc who lose the plot, squeak and pray to Allah, quite reasonably I might add, at the slightest sign of turbulence.
We arrive in Rome the Eternal City. It is very hot. We take a taxi to The Jolly Hotel in Via Veneto.
A porter shows us to our room. It is horrible. The window overlooks the M25. The bedcover is a stained cherry red and the veneered side board a peachy brown. The bathroom has a stained shower curtain.
John phones work.
"Frankly," he says t"his isn’t good enough. I know it’s a four star hotel but actually our room is overlooking a motorway. We can’t stay here." He says.
John and I return our keys to reception. "We’re moving," says John to the concierge. The concierge doesn’t seem surprised..
We move to The Baglioni hotel inside the city walls. the Baglioni is a tart’s dream it is almost as good as the Dorchester.



 


No comments:

Post a Comment